|Date Posted||June 1, 2018|
Job ID: 137670
The Shelly Company, a CRH company, is a vertically integrated supplier of aggregates, asphalt, ready mix concrete and paving services throughout the state of Ohio. Our commitment to quality drives us to use the most modern, efficient and environmentally friendly technology in our industry. The Shelly Company is known throughout the industry for innovation, quality and for our commitment to safety.
Conduct tests on asphalt mix to determine composition and consistency with required specifications. Assist in adjustment of mix composition to ensure asphalt mix within specifications. Monitor temperature, thickness, density and overall condition of pavements during installation. Assist and make recommendations in the process of the installation of HMA. Quality Control Technicians usually perform their duties during a shift that varies with the operation of the business, may include night work, and usually involves overtime. Duties are performed under limited or no supervision.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Testing materials in a safe, efficient, and productive manner.
- Identify and become familiar with various mix specifications requirements.
- Monitor the quality of hot mix asphalt for and on specific jobs in a safe, efficient, and productive manner.
- Test materials to determine specific requirements such as weight, gravity, temperature, thickness, and gradation of mix components.
- Communicate with other technicians regarding mix specifications and test results.
- Input test result data into computers in laboratories and remote locations.
- Monitor the quality of hot mix asphalt pavement.
- Must use and calibrate a density meter.
- Communicate and assist paving personnel in adjusting processes to conform to specifications.
- Report and communicate test results ethically, adhering to The Shelly Company Ethics Policy.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Manual of Safety Practices and Procedures.
- Strict adherence to Shelly Company policies and procedures as outlined in the Company Book of Policies.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Shelly Company employees. Employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedule.
Individuals must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities to be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of skills and abilities.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equal skill level. Ability to carry out standardized laboratory tests in accordance with ASTM and AASHTO standards. Knowledge and understanding of basic operating procedures and mechanics of asphalt plant. Knowledge of applicable federal, state and local regulations pertaining to, but not limited to, safety, the environment and transportation. Ability to detect safety hazards and malfunctions and respond accordingly. Ability to operate a two-way radio. Level 2 or 3 HMA ODOT Certifications required.
Ability to read English language sufficiently to read information contained in specifications, reports, manuals and regulations.
Ability to perform intermediate mathematical skills, including basic algebra, geometry, and shop math.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Walking up to ten miles per day, occasional climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and traveling over irregular terrain. Functions also usually involve frequent sitting and standing. Performance of some tasks or operation of some equipment may require motor coordination, finger dexterity, eye-hand-foot coordination and color discrimination.
Individuals must be able to perform all essential functions, with or without reasonable accommodation, without posing a direct threat to the health safety of the individual or to others.
This position requires an employee to lift:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to wet, humid conditions, airborne particles, and extreme heat or cold. The employee is frequently exposed to vibration, dust, irritants, chemicals, and noise.
The noise level in the work environment is frequently very loud and may require protective equipment.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What CRH Americas Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
The Shelly Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability–If you want to know more, please click on this link.