|Location||Coon Rapids, MN|
|Date Posted||September 16, 2018|
Animal Care Technician
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Shift: 1st, Monday – Friday
Compensation: $15/hour (opportunity for growth)
Summary: We are a fast-growing Animal Research Organization with new openings in our animal care department! We are a culture-focused company and put an emphasis on helping our people grow and move upwards! The Animal Care Technician provides for the basic needs of the animals by performing animal husbandry tasks such as feeding, weighing, preventive health maintenance, providing social interaction, and by maintaining a clean living environment according to the company's SOPs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable the company's Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in order to successfully perform job duties.
- Administers daily and enrichment feeding according to SOP or protocol prescribed amounts and types of feed. Assesses and documents appetite and feces patterns.
- Cleans and/or completes spray-backs and sanitizing of animal caging and housing areas per SOP. Operates a variety of cleaning equipment such as pressure hoses and cagewashers.
- Performs large and small animal receipt, including preparing housing for arrival, movement of animals to housing, preparing animal charts, and bathing and weighing of animals as required.
- Performs daily documentation activities, such as cleaning/sprayback and feeding dates and times, sanitation dates and initials, appetite, feces and vomit observations, room and location transfers, room temperature and humidity data, etc.
- Weighs animals according to schedule or as dictated by study protocol.
- Performs preventive health maintenance such as canine and lagomorphs nail trims, ear cleaning, and quarantine and pre-procedure bathing.
- Conducts animal movement from room to room as needed for housing requirements, study requirements, etc. Uses transport cart to assist with moving post-operative animals.
- Interacts with animals daily and restrains animals as warranted.
a) Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Veterinary Technology, Zoology, Animal Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, or related disciplines
b) Prior experience with animal care and animal husbandry
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have basic computer skills, with
experience using Microsoft Outlook preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to, and must handle
and come in contact with, a variety of large and small livestock, domestic and laboratory
animals, is regularly exposed to non-weather wet conditions and toxic or caustic chemicals, and
is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally required to
work with radioactive isotopes and in a Bio-Safety-Level 2 (BSL2) environment, and is
occasionally exposed to gasses such as CO2 and isoflurane. The employee may occasionally,
be exposed to fluoroscopy, blood borne pathogens and zoonotic diseases.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and frequently loud. Hearing
protection is required in designated areas and when performing specific tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach
with hands and arms, use hands, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to grip and
squeeze with hands, stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb
or balance, or crawl.
The employee is regularly required to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted. The employee is
occasionally required to physically restrain up to 80 pounds unassisted, and to maneuver and/or
restrain up to 220 pounds with the assistance of other personnel.
Target Keywords: animal care, husbandry, veterinary, vet hospital, vet clinic, animal research, banfield, dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, Coon Raids, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Anoka, Minneapolis, Blaine, Maple Grove