|Date Posted||July 27, 2018|
POSITION SUMMARY: Under general supervision, the HVAC (Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning) Mechanic Research Facility performs a variety of technical tasks in the maintenance, repair, replacement, and installation of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, reverse osmosis systems, specialized laboratory equipment, and related systems, to include servicing and troubleshooting chillers, building automation systems, energy management control systems, fume hoods, de-ionized water systems, bio-clean systems, vacuum systems, and cascade refrigeration systems.
1. *Follows procedures, regulations, and guidelines while minimizing errors and safety risks.
2. *Installs, modifies, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains various mechanical, HVAC and refrigeration – hermetic, semi-hermetic, mechanical, screw, scroll and centrifugal units; Maintains and records maintenance and operation logs.
3. *Installs, modifies, and repairs air conditioning, ventilation; reverse osmosis systems, computer rooms; process coolers; ice machines; evaporative cooling; air compressing and related control systems, including pneumatic, DDC, and building control systems equipment.
4. *Performs installation tasks involving assembly, testing, calibrating, and adjusting of temperature control and environmental control systems such as air conditioning plants, air environmental control systems, air distribution systems and complex dual equipment cooling installations, specialized refrigerated warehouses and facilities, and evaporative mechanical ventilation, and dehumidification systems.
5. *Installs new or repaired component and performs complex modifications of systems and components in accordance with applicable electrical publications and directives.
6. *Fabricates, assembles and installs ductwork and chassis parts. Installs evaporator units in chassis or in air-duct systems. Installs insulation on ductwork and air-duct systems.
7. *Cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment and tools. Cuts and threads pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment. Joins tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions, and solders joints, using torch, forming completed circuit for refrigerant. Tests joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution.
8. *Assesses drain problems and performs needed repairs.
9. *Wraps pipes in insulation batting and secures them in place.
10.*Replaces defective breaker, controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units.
11.*Connects motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connects control panels to power source. Troubleshoot, diagnose, and reset controls and control panels.
12.*Replaces defective controls, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units.
13.*Replaces defective HVAC electrical and electronic controls to include communication cables.
14.*Monitors energy management control system and building automation systems; responds promptly to alarm conditions and troubleshoots system malfunction in the field.
15.*Observes pressure and vacuum gauges and adjusts controls to insure proper operation.
16.*Checks distribution systems for proper velocity, volume, temperature, pressure, etc. Determines amount of airflow required to keep carbon dioxide at a safe level and ensures it is maintained.
17.*Maintain, repairs, and installs various dining facility equipment.
18.*Troubleshoot, maintain, modify and repair fans and fan motors, pumps and pump motors, electric and pneumatic control, safety controls, overcurrent and other equipment protection devices.
19.*Follows blueprints or engineering specifications; may prepare work sketches and assist in the design and specifications of planned work.
20.*Locates, picks up, and delivers parts required for department needs.
21.*Assists in monitoring and training of Maintenance Trades Helpers and General Maintenance Workers by providing instruction and reviewing completed projects.
22.*Responds to emergency calls after normal work hours.
23.*Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed primarily in the field; driving to and from worksite. HVAC/R equipment is located in crawl spaces, rooftops, and outside facility. Technicians are exposed to hot and cold climate, depending on external weather
DISCLAIMER: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Employees are expected to follow their supervisor's instructions and to performthe tasks requested by their supervisors.
* Denotes Essential Job Function