|Date Posted||March 28, 2018|
For over three decades, many of the world’s leading firms have relied on Align as a trusted IT solution provider and center of excellence in IT advisory, infrastructure design, build, delivery and managed services. We are actively seeking innovative minds to establish and strengthen our team to deliver high-quality state-of-the-art technology solutions for our enterprise and boutique clients.
If you are seeking to own challenging projects under tight schedules for some of today’s most fascinating companies while leveraging an exceptional team and long track record of success, then we want to hear from you today.
Align seeks a motivated and organized professional to join our Data Center Solutions team in our rapidly growing branch office in Ashburn, Virginia. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who possesses some management, supervisory or team leadership experience. Candidates must understand data center operations and how to handle the day to day moves and changes that take place in the data center. This role requires three or more years of hands-on cabling infrastructure and data center equipment installation experience.
Candidates must be familiar with patching schedules, relevant project documentation and typical hardware install, move, add, change (IMAC) events that take place in a data center. This individual will have the opportunity to move into a project manager position and will be mentored by subject matter experts (SMEs) and senior project managers on the Align Data Center Design and Build team.
Candidates must be collaborative team players who are willing to roll up their sleeves and be hands-on while installing cabling and equipment but also possess excellent client-facing, communication, project documentation, organizational, follow-up and Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel, for the project management aspect of this position.
Training and certifications are encouraged and fully reimbursed to help foster individual career development and enhance the knowledgebase of our team. We are looking for an enthusiastic, high-energy data center technician that has strong project coordination experience and an excellent work ethic and desire to learn and grow.
- The Lead Data Center Technician will be based out of our Ashburn, VA office
- This is a full-time position offering full benefits, a competitive salary, paid training and performance-based bonuses
Work under the direction of a Data Center Operations Managers, to provide on-site support for day-to-day data center IMAC work and larger scale data center design and build projects and moves:
- Perform hands-on rack and stack of data center equipment and structured cabling installation, as well as more formal project management and team supervisory tasks
- Guide, schedule, coach, oversee and provide quality control for other, more junior, data center technicians
- Act as primary point of contact and liaison between the data center operations team and with senior IT and facilities management personnel
- Create necessary documentation
- Schedule and facilitate installations and vendor meetings as needed
- Perform physical rack and stack of data center equipment as need
- Install structured cabling
- Conduct data center moves and consolidation planning
- Data collection of IT asset and MEP configurations
- Exhibit leadership characteristics including strong communication skills, full understanding of internal policies, time management, dependability and client focus
- Plan and execute a subset of large data center design and build projects including low-voltage cabling, network and server equipment installation (physical rack and stack), general equipment and cabling move, add, change (MAC) and circuit management
- Be proactive and assist whenever possible in either a project delivery or operations role
- Interact and build an effective rapport with clients
- Help coordinate and conduct meetings, assist in the gathering of information and record meeting deliverables as needed
- Create and maintain detailed project documentation, spreadsheets and correspondence using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Coordinate and supervise vendors (cable installations or any other technology) during the construction and buildout of the data center including monitoring their work, facilitating equipment deliveries, ensuring design is implemented properly, identifying and escalating issues and confirming proper documentation is maintained
- Help design basic cable layouts, distribution frames and patching facilities with approval from the project manager
- Coordinate low-voltage cable installation according to client specifics including all patching and cross-connects for both voice and data
- Terminate cables in data center, patch cords and cross-connects, as well as troubleshoot and repair cabling and infrastructure problems as needed
- Perform hands-on deployment of all equipment in the data center
- Oversee the circuit inventory, ordering, tracking and delivery if part of project scope
- Execute test procedures to ensure completeness of installations
- Some prior team leadership, supervisory or data center quality assurance experience is strongly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (both written and verbal), organizational, presentation and collaboration skills are essential
- Minimum of three years of data center specific or similar experience working in critical facilities, performing hands-on buildout or day-to-day IMAC (rack and stack) work
- Knowledge of low-voltage cabling infrastructure standards including Category 6 cabling, Category 6A cabling, OM3 fiber, OM4 fiber and single-mode fiber
- At least three years of hands-on server and network gear installation and move experience including performing network patching (copper and fiber cabling) within a data center
- A good understanding data center operations and data center facilities
- Ideal candidates will have some prior project experience with IT construction or data center buildout, but this is not required
- Basic understanding of all data center functions (production operations, network, server, storage, database, change control, disaster recovery/business recovery, help desk, systems management and facilities) is desired
- Any prior technology move, add, change (MAC) experience — ideally large-scale technology relocation — is a plus
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel, is required
- Familiarity with other software tools utilized on projects such as Microsoft Project, Visio, AutoCAD or another graphics software is a plus
- Some experience with installation schedules, vendor management and structured cabling infrastructure is a plus
- Strong time-management and follow-up skills are necessary
- A dependable professional with a “role up your sleeves” attitude and a strong work ethic are required
Align is a dynamic and flexible place to work, offering professionals unparalleled opportunities to train in the leading technologies, make an impact within the industry and control their own destinies. We have a flawless track record of delivering technical solutions and have established long-standing relationships with an impressive client list of both Global 1000 and SMB clients.
We work across a diverse list of industries including financial services, life sciences (pharmaceutical and health care), retail, technology, media and telecommunications. We give our professionals the autonomy to pursue opportunities and manage assignments in ways that maximize their creativity and talents, leading to self-fulfillment and financial rewards.
For more details, visit www.align.com.