|Date Posted||December 6, 2017|
Senior HVAC Technician (One or More Positions)
Under direction from assigned supervisory and/or management staff, performs skilled work in the installation, servicing, repair and maintenance of refrigeration, heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment and systems; makes a variety of independent decisions related to HVAC systems; coordinates assigned projects related to HVAC systems and serves as the point person for contractors during the evening hours; operates and maintains a wide variety of hand and power tools and equipment; performs a variety of special projects; and assists in performing other skilled maintenance duties as assigned. May receive functional supervision, technical training and work direction from a Plant Engineer.
This is the advanced journey level class in the HVAC Technician series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the level of responsibility assumed and the complexity of duties assigned including making independent decisions related to the HVAC system, dealing with contractors and independently performing a variety of special projects. Employees in this classification work part of a shift alone without any direct supervision from higher level staff. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility.
The duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of
the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties
from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business
practices. Please see Job Duties for details.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect, test, troubleshoot, repair, maintain and service all types of heating, refrigeration, ventilation and air conditioning equipment and systems; ensure proper functioning; repair leaks and malfunctioning dampers in systems; make independent decisions related to the HVAC system when working alone during evening hours.
- Install, replace, repair and adjust valves, thermostats, fans, pressure and air regulators, filters, belts, fuses, controls, gauges, air compressors, blowers, dryers and pumps; test joints and insulate pipes of refrigeration and air conditioning systems; clean, lubricate and adjust systems as required.
- Test water used in air conditioning systems for proper levels of chemical treatment; maintain appropriate levels to maximize corrosion protection in cooling towers and water supply.
- Fabricate, repair and install duct work and chassis covers; cut threads and assemble pipe and tubing to other components of air conditioning, heating and refrigeration equipment.
- Perform inspections of powerhouses throughout the assigned campus; monitor operation of mechanical systems that supply air conditioning to buildings.
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance on all air conditioning and related equipment.
- As assigned, assists in operating the Energy Management System in order to control time schedule and temperature of conditioned areas on campus.
- As assigned, assist outside contractors; provide information within the area of assignment; provide hands on assistance as necessary; inspect completed work and report punch-list items to supervisor; ensure problems are resolved.
- Coordinate assigned projects related to HVAC systems and serve as the point person for contractors during evening hours.
- Perform a variety of special projects as assigned during evening hours.
- Order, stock and maintain equipment and supplies.
- Provide assistance on various other maintenance and repair projects as assigned.
- Perform related duties as required.